How much is Psychotherapy really evolving?: Debriefing from The Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference – Ep. 31
Dr. Joseph Lee is a Psychiatrist and therapist practicing in Redondo Beach, CA, and authors the blog, Mental Healthiness. On Episode 31, Martin and Dr. Lee debrief from their impressions and critiques from the Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference of December 2017. Most notably, tune in for reflections on presentations by:
– Relationship expert, Esther Perel, on infidelity and the unique strains on marriages and other committed relationships of this era.
– The “Godfather” of Cognitive Therapy, Dr. Aaron Beck, and his criticisms of manualized treatments in psychotherapy.
– The research of Drs. Paul and Eve Ekman on the expression and experience of emotion, cultivating emotional balance across and between cultures.
– Dr. Scott Miller’s research on efffective psychotherapy, and why the field and practice of therapy is not more successful than it is.
– Dr. Martin Seligman, leading researcher in the field of Positive Psychology, and his historical and theological commentary on the importance of Free will.
– Professor of Psychology and Education at Columbia University, Dr. Derald Wing Sue, on the Psychology of race and microaggressions.
Mentioned in Episode 31:
“Evolution requires Diversity. The Evolution of Psychotherapy needs it too and An Open letter to Dr. Jeffery Zeig” by Dr. Lee
Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel
The Atlas of Emotions, developed by Paul and Eve Ekman, with support from the Dalai Lama
Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race by Derald Wing Sue
Clinical Psychologist Dr. Martin Hsia practices with the Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Southern California in Glendale, CA. His specialties include helping people with Anxiety Disorders, OCD, and Insomnia.